THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Second Attempt: Turn-Out; Better


So I had most of the early day to kill today as I didn't have to work until five. So I decided to make another attempt at a good basic white sauce. I bought a book called "400 Sauces" last night after some great recommendations I got from a friend we'll call hillbilly. You see, hillbilly and his step-son, kly are both amazing in the kitchen. Hillbilly is the one who gave me the recipe for the apple, brown sugar brine I used to smoke a turkey last thanksgiving. anyway, I cracked open the book today and found the basic recipe for the "mother" sauce, a white sauce that is used as the base in a ton of different sauces. I just wanted to get the base right. I went to town and the base ended up turning out really well, but a little bland. 


So I started racking my brain, what could I add to make this better?

It hit me, I pulled out another frying pan, sauteed some sweet onions with salt and pepper in butter, then I put some vegetarian ground beef replacement to the pan with the onion flavor left in it. cooked it up with some garlic, salt and pepper. 

When all that was done I added it an the onion to the sauce, folded it all together and it came out amazing!

I'm really happy that I finally got this sauce right. yay me!

3 comments:

Bill Coulter said...

hey chef, nice blog! Is this a new direction for you? hmmmm I can definetly see you as a chef at some upscale restaurant!

The Chef said...

hey, yeah, I think so. I really enjoy it. I want to do my photography but instead of using best buy (grumble grumble) as a serious means of income I wana do this.

Bill Coulter said...

Kewl, you've always enjoyed cooking! Are there any cooking schools near you?